Do you want instant privacy from your neighbours? Does your home require security for the winter months ahead? If so, now is the perfect time to plant an instant hedge. The milder temperatures and moist soils in November make it an ideal time to plant hedging in your garden. Screening, shelter and privacy can all be achieved by planting a suitable selection of plants to create an instant hedge. Soil conditions are ideal for planting new plants and a hedge planted now will establish it self quickly and develop a strong root base over the winter period.
How To Plant An Instant Hedge:
Firstly, remove all existing weed or lawn growth along the planting area. Use an application of Weedfree 360 to kill the existing weed growth without contaminating your soil.
Next, dig individual holes for each plant and incorporate some organic chicken manure pellets into the planting hole before planting your new plants.
Finally, space your hedging plants approx 2 feet apart to form a strong dense hedge. Once planted the hedge will require regular feeding each spring with a dressing of Osmo Pro 6 fertiliser.
Instant Hedge Varieties:
- Buxus Sempervirens is ideal for a small garden, creating a low and compact hedge. It is a small evergreen plant with dark green foliage. Importantly, it is slow growing and it is very easy to cut and maintain. Ideally, is used for hedges from 0.5 to 1 meter in height.
- Hardy Portuguese Laurel is a plant that is easy to grow and maintain. It has small, deep green and glossy foliage and red stems. The plant grows to form a tight hedge with a dense compact shape. It is suitable for small to medium hedges from 1 to 2 meters high.
- Hardy Green Privet is a hardy plant with strong growth and dense green foliage. It will create an easy to trim, solid wall of foliage, ideal for hedges from 1 to 3 meters.
- Golden Privet forms a dense, full and easy to grow hedge. The hedge will add colour to your garden with its bright yellow foliage and white flowers. It creates a hardy hedge that is easy to grow and trim. Ideally, it will form a hedge between 1 and 3 meters high.
- Hardy Laurel is an evergreen, fast growing hedge. It has deep green and glossy foliage, white flowers and a dense full growth habit. This variety is ideal for a hedge from 2 to 3 meters high.
- Hardy Seaside Hedge has bright silver foliage all season long. It is a hardy plant that survives well in exposed conditions and seaside locations. It is easy to trim and forms a dense full habit. As a hedge it will grow between 1 to 3 meters in height.
- Thuja Brambant has an evergreen rich colour and a cone shaped conifer. It has a beautiful formal shape that doesn’t require cutting, thus it is easy to maintain. It is deal for hedges from 2 to 4 meters.
Remember to add compost to the hole when planting and to feed your plants with a dressing of Osmo Pro 6 fertiliser once planted.
Do you have questions about your garden? If so, just contact your local store where one of our helpful and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help and answer any questions you may have