February’s plant of the month is the Crinodendron Hookerianum, also known as the Chilean Lantern Tree. Originating in Chile, it was introduced to the UK by a Cornish plant collecter, William Lobb, in 1848.
“This plant is one of my favorite spring flowering plants. Its beauty has the ability to brighten up every garden. “Paraic
Some of the attributes that make the Crinodendron Hookerianum an ideal plant for your garden include:
- It is a low-maintenance plant, due to it thriving in the moist Irish soil. Further, it is tolerant to the cold, meaning it survives well in an Irish climate.
- It is a medium-sized, dark, evergreen shrub, suitable for most gardens.
- It is an incredibly eye-catching plant, displaying lantern-shaped, crimson flowers.
- It’s scarlet crimson flowers are approx. 1 inch in length. They flower from late spring to late summer, adding a beautiful touch of color to the garden.
- It can either be pruned to a preferred shape or grown freely, depending on personal preference. Again, asserting its low-maintenance nature.
Now is a great time to plant your Chilean Lantern Tree. So, get out into your garden, breath in some fresh air, and enjoy the beauty of nature!
Pro Tip: Plant in a large pot or directly in your garden for a stunning show of scarlet red flowers this spring.