Patio plants are a collection of summer flowering plants that are ideal for adding colour and interest to your outdoor area. They add colour to your area from June onwards and are usually found in flower borders, beds and patio pots including hanging baskets, window boxes and wall planters.
How to grow great summer flowering patio plants:
- Use a quality Irish compost when planting. We recommend the Growise compost.
- Add a slow release fertiliser to the compost before planting. This helps to enrich your patio plants during the summer months.
- Plant the taller plants in the centre of the arrangement and plant the smaller plants in the surrounding area.
- Remember to remove the old and fading flowers in midsummer, this encourages new growth and flowers all summer/autumn long.
- Dwarf Dahlias
- Dwarf Petunias
- Blue Lobelias
- Nemesia Sunpeddle Blue Moon
Hanging Baskets/Window Boxes/Wall Planters
- Trailing Petunias
- Trailing Geraniums
- Million Bells
- Mixed Lobelias
- Busie Lizzies
Patio Pot: Once planted place your creation into a sunny, sheltered location. Water the pot weekly and feed with Osmo Universal Plant Food fortnightly, to encourage continuous bloom until late autumn.
Hanging Basket/Window Box/Wall Planter: Once planted place the containers in a sheltered location for three weeks. During this period the plants will fill out and start flowering. Then hang them up in their final location and feed weekly with Osmo Universal Plant Food.
Edible flowers are a wonderful addition to every patio container. They can be used to dress salads, soups, desserts and cocktails. Some of our recommendations include Pansy, Violas, Nasturtiums, Lavender, Begonias and Geraniums. They are easy to grow and perfect to add colour and flavour to summer cuisine.
If you have questions about summer flowering plants you can check out our Learn To Garden Blog, find us on Facebook at Horkans Garden Centre, or contact your local store where one of our helpful and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help.