Many new gardeners tend to want to plant many different varieties of plants together in clusters. This might seem appealing but it's actually quite time-consuming and it's a lot messier to look at. One of the best ways to plant shrubs, ground covering plants and perennial plants in your garden is through the drift planting method. This method is about planting plants that will offer colour throughout the entire year in clusters of the same variety.
How many should you plant?
Depending on the size of the bed, you might put 3, 5 or 7 of the same variety to grow in together uniformly to cover the ground, making it look spectacular when they're in flower. This method helps to close in the soil and to cut down on maintenance, especially weeding.
- Makes planting simple.
- It creates a low maintenance area, reducing the need for weeding.
- It adds more colour, making the plants have a greater visual impact.
We have a great range of beautiful plants available for drift planting.
- Carpet rose amber drift: These incredibly hardy, self-cleaning roses need very little maintenance aside from pruning in Spring once the threat of frost has passed. They have a gorgeous soft orange colour and are perfect for Mother's Day.
- Gooseberry invicta fruit pack: Gooseberry ‘Invicta’ has almost twice the yield to that of any other variety. Along with being the highest yielding, it also is resistant to mildew and late spring frosts making it perfect for most gardeners.
- Hebe strawberries & cream drift: This plant is is exactly as the name suggests, a beautiful plant with a two-tone colour of pinks and whites.
- Hebe pink candy drift: This plant will give you all year round colour with a long flowering period running from Summer into Autumn. Its pink flowers stand out against the dark foliage and their upright spiky form provides a nice contrast to the smooth leaves and dark red stems.
Where can I use this method?
- Shrub beds
- Garden borders
- Cottage garden areas
If you'd like to order from our drift planting selection, contact our sales team at (094) 903 1435, where one of our helpful and knowledgeable staff will be happy to help and answer any questions you may have.